The still moments just after the kids are tucked in...

Monday, November 07, 2005

Day 7

Week one is officially over, and I am precisely 21 words ahead of schedule, sliding in at a grand total of 11,689. I decided that for such dedication and perseverence I deserved an official NaNoWriMo participant icon on my post for today (it was offered free of charge on the NaNoWriMo website. Wish I looked that fit in tight running shorts. Come to think of it, shouldn't he be a she lugging a computer under his, eh her arm?). In any case, this icon feels like a gold star did in kindergarten, and I am keeping it, so there.

I am experimenting with a form of fiction in which various characters speak, write letters, and write diary entries, but in which there are also sections that are written in the 3rd person with dialogue. I am feeling my way in the dark, here, and enjoying it immensely still. Don't know if it will ever be readable, but it is a great way to practice.

Maddy and Sonia were terrific today. We made chocolate chip cookies after school (which I shall also reward myself with momentarily), and both were covered in flour and had sticky faces from licking the batter off the beaters and spoon and bowl and fingers... Maddy went out into the back garden and called up to our neighbor who was working on his roof "Hey, Fred: Do you want a cookie?!" Fred did want, and Maddy was sure his wife Marion would too, so she brought a little foil packet of cookies over. Meanwhile, Sonia strapped on Maddy's bicycle helmet and then got Maddy to help her strap on her rollerskates. She's two years and two months old! Wonderful stuff.

No comments: