The still moments just after the kids are tucked in...

Friday, November 25, 2005

Day 25

Word count: 43, 795... still 2120 words ahead of schedule.

With the finish line coming into sight, I am experiencing a wee dip in inspiration. Could it be that my system is wearing out from the repeated jolts of adrenaline everytime I made my word count?

I can't seem to stop thinking about the enormous amount of editing I have just created for myself. It is silly! All I have to do now is write the scene where all is revealed, and wrap up the loose ends with monologues by characters who never seem to run out of things to say.

Unfortunately, all I can think as I sit at the computer tonight is the following: I already have 43,795 words of a novel that has, among many other things, some serious chronology problems, and now I am supposed to add more words that will need to be edited? I don't think so!

I can see that I have made the potentially deadly mistake of looking ahead to what comes after I finish the novel. Must try to crawl humbly back... no, make that RUN like the mad woman that I am back to the here and now, where my work is simply to write until I drop. There. Attitude adjustment accomplished.

Incidentally, I just want to say that this blog has been enormously helpful to me during the past 24 days of writing mania. As long as I maintain a clear enough head to write a few words to you every day, I know I am alright. Thanks for reading along so far!

We are going up to Assen this weekend (armed with a laptop!) for Greetje's 40th birthday, so won't be able to post again until Sunday at the earliest. Happy belated Thanksgiving to all back home, and hope you have a terrific weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

like tumbler and tipsy days hopefully we will remain in high spirits. well, good day