The still moments just after the kids are tucked in...

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Day 1 NaNoWriMo

Day 1... Have left my internal editor behind at the official internal editor kennel provided by the good people at the NaNoWriMo organisation (headed up by the author of No Plot, No Problem) and have the first 300 words in the bag. Only 1400 to go before I sleep...and somewhere in there I shall have to deal with the fact that my first chapter has quite unexpectedly been pirated by the granddaughter of the main character I had painstakingly developed. For Pete's sake, if my cast of characters is suddenly going to develop stage fright and send in other characters about whom I know little to nothing, this is going to be a long haul indeed. I am going to go with it, in the spirit of the quest for quantity rather than quality, but I would like to officially note my reservations about this irregular change in plans.

It is also, incidentally, Day 1 of the national dental hygiene week (the Dutch are odd that way). Maddy came home with a free toothbrush and tube of toothpaste and persuaded Sonia to play dentist with her. Sonia climbed up onto the plush 50's chair in the corner, tipped her curly- haired head back and opened her mouth wide as Maddy adjusted the bright reading lamp for optimal lighting. And just like my dentist, she asked all sorts of questions while poking around in Sonia's mouth...