The still moments just after the kids are tucked in...

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Day 5

Word count: 9304… foof. The granddaughter character that imposed herself in chapter 1 is turning out to be quite a handy word-count booster. Still don’t know how she will tie in to the theme exactly, but I am keeping her in the cast of characters for as long as she continues to find something to say.

My two main characters, Louise and Birgit, are currently on a train from Hamburg to Leiden, having arrived in Hamburg on the boat from Helgoland where they live. For the first time since November 1st, I am sorry to leave them behind as I close up shop for the night. I am really looking forward to writing their arrival, partly because Birgit doesn’t travel well (!), partly because the character that will be there to meet them is an interesting fellow (his letter of invitation in chapter 2 was intriguing)…and partly because there is oh so much detail I can draw upon to describe Louise and Birgit’s first impressions of Leiden. If Sam can’t go to Helgoland, the main characters must come to Sam. For the scenes that do take place on Helgoland I have made good use of internet resources, including a website with 360◦ panorama pictures from different points on the island.

No comments: